1. Kayaking in Vang Vieng. I can’t overstate how beautiful the landscape is here. Laos was one of my favourite places in South-East Asia for travelling by bus because of the dramatic scenery. I highly recommend that you spend some time enjoying the great outdoors. Kayaking in Vang Vieng was a highlight for me. I was putting my paddle down every few minutes to snap away with my camera. You can see more pictures of Vang Vieng here.
2. Pha That Luang. This is the most important national monument in Laos, and a symbol of the country which appears on the kip notes. This gold-covered Buddhist stupa is very eye-catching, particularly on a sunny day. There are many other temples surrounding it so you can easily spend half a day exploring the area. Check out more pictures here.
3. Kuang Si waterfalls. Who wouldn’t want to take a break from the heat and dive into cool, turquoise pools next to stunning waterfalls? If this sounds like heaven, you need to visit the Kuang Si waterfalls near Luang Prabang. There are several pools you can swim in and higher points you can jump off if you’re brave enough. You can also visit the Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre, which is a sanctuary for moon bears nearby.
4. Chill in Luang Prabang. This city is a great place to take a few days to relax, eat good food and shop for souvenirs. The night market in Luang Prabang is one of my favourites because it’s so calm and nicely laid out. You can also hike up to the top of Mount Phou Si to get a great view over the whole city. Check out more pictures of Luang Prabang here.
5. Slow boat to Thailand. Many backpackers who travel around South-East Asia will travel by slow boat from Luang Prabang in Laos to the border with Thailand. If you have the time to spare and like the idea of a lazy boat trip along the Mekong, then you should definitely look into this option. Read more about my slow boat experience here.
I hope you enjoyed this post. What are your favourite things to do in Laos? Please let me know in the comments! If you’d like to share this on Pinterest, feel free to use the picture below. xx