Choosing a backpack to take with you on a long trip can be a little mind-boggling. You might not be sure which size is best, or which features are must-haves and which you don’t need to bother with. The good news is there are so many great, affordable bags out there, which you can easily search for online.
When I was getting ready to leave for my travels I had an old backpack in mind, but I realised that I couldn’t lock it with a padlock so I decided to look for a new one. I bought a Berghaus Jalan Women’s Backpack 55L from Amazon. It is no longer available to buy, but you can have a look at it here.
My favourite features of this backpack were:
- Lockable – I used mini padlocks to keep my bag locked.
- 55L size – This size was great for me. I wouldn’t advise anything smaller if you are going away for a long time. I could have taken a slightly bigger bag, but this size was comfortable for me (I’m 5ft 10 by the way!).
- Strap cover – The straps at the back could be covered over with material and zipped closed. This was great for checking the bag in at airports.
- Smaller day bag – A detachable, lockable day bag was included, which you could zip on to the main backpack.
- Opened like a suitcase – Some backpacks are only accessible from the top, but the front of this one could be pulled down to about 3/4 of the length of the backpack. This made packing and unpacking so much easier.
- Smaller compartments – There were two sections on the inside of the front of the backpack that were great for storing my toiletries and smaller items that I didn’t want to be getting thrown around too much.
There might be other backpack features not mentioned here that you’ll need for your trip. For example, I couldn’t attach a rolled up sleeping mat to my bag and this might be something you know you’re going to need. I’d advise taking some time to really think about what is suitable for you and find a bag that ticks all the right boxes.
I hope you enjoyed this post. If you would like to share on Pinterest, feel free to use the picture below. xx
Picture: Stock image